Eons ago, when we were still at the research stage for all that we do today, we needed to choose a brand name. All we had, was a handful of safety reflector samples from a manufacturer and a some ideas and advice. Today, on the anniversary of finding our funflector brand name, we would like to share some ideas we had on how to choose a brand name that cut through the noise on search engines and help you build your own niche. These were our criteria:
- The brand name needed to be different from our business name, the newly registered glimling.com LLC
- The brand name needed to be available as a .com domain
- The brand name should not be a normal word or series of words as it would be hard to find our products when using the brand name in search engines.
- The brand name needed to be reasonably short so the URL was easy to read, remember and type.
- The brand name needed to flow and be easy to pronounce and spell in American English. Having lived in Sweden, Germany and France in addition to the US, we had plenty of impossible names to draw from.
- Of course, the brand name must not be offensive, obscene or disrespectful.
- Lastly, it would be nice if the brand name described the product.
We came up with gazillions of ideas, and some we believed in enough to test in google. For most, however googling was the end until March 15th. That’s when when we typed in funflector.
The result: “Your search – funflector – did not match any documents.” Yes! In that very moment we knew we had chosen a great brand name!Try that today and see how many hits you get!
So, that’s our story on how to choose a brand name!
A couple of weeks later, as we were about to submit trademark registration for funflector, we listened to a webinar about branding. They talked about how many of the best brand names were made up from two normal words smushed together into one name. And that was exactly how we had turned “fun reflector” into funflector!
We still love our brand name and it keeps serving us well.
What’s your favorite advice when it comes to brand creation? Please comment below!